HISTORY OF THE INSTITUTION

Pitty Theagaraya Chetty-Senior and Sir Pitty Theagaraya Chetty-Junior founded the North Madras Hindu Secondary School in 1897, to cater to the educational needs of the local population. For nearly 25 years, the school was nurtured under the munificence of the acclaimed philanthropists - the PITTY BROTHERS. After the demise of the Pitty brothers, the School was renamed as Theagaraya Chetty Hindu Secondary School. In 1931, the Pitty Family, with the approval of High Court of Madras, rightly vested the management of the school into the broader hands of a Committee constituted for the purpose.

The first Correspondent of the School was the coveted personality in DEWAN BAHADUR PT. KUMARASWAMI CHETTY. Subsequently, he was succeeded by his brother P.T. CHENGALVARAYA CHETTY in 1942. The School flourished well and soared to greater heights in the field of education and by June 1947 the students’ strength fittingly increased to a laudable figure of 1600- no mean achievement, given the demographics of the location of the school, peopled by traders, artisans and daily wagers.

Fittingly, the Management realized the need to raise the School into a College, in the year 1950 to provide higher education to the residents of North Madras - a luxury offered at hand's reach, which even the affluent could not easily dream of in those days. The Hand of Prodigy prevailed on Sri P. Ramaswamy Chetty, grandson of Pitty Theagaraya Chetty-Senior, a talented and visionary icon of Pammy Family. As a member of the Managing Committee, he worked relentlessly towards the establishment of an institution of higher learning – a haven for the weaker and under-privileged sections of the people in North Madras. The steady growth achieved by Sir Theagaraya College since its establishment illustrates the commitment of the Management in offering education, particularly higher education to the under privileged and the disadvantaged.

Sir Theagaraya College which is a part of the Theagaraya Chetty Educational Institutions, is managed by a board consisting of six trustees, of whom, two are drawn from each of the families of Pitty Theagaraya Chetty-Senior and Sir Pitty Theagaraya Chetty-Junior, one from the Chartered Accountants Association and the other being nominated by the Madras University Syndicate.


Theagaraya Chetty Educational Institutions Managing Committee: 2014-15
 
CA. P.R. Venkateswaran - Chairman
Dr. P. Theagarayan, M.D.S., - Secretary & Correspondent
Dr. M. Jayakumar, M.D., D.M., - Member
Thiru. M. Balaguruvappa, M.Com., PGDMM - Member
Thiru. P. Kumaraswami, B.Pharm., - Member
Dr. G. Ravichandra Babu, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., - Member - Ex-Officio
Thiru. K. Varadarajan, M.A., M.Sc., M.Ed., M.Phil., - Member - Ex-Officio

Sir Theagaraya College Committee: 2014 – 2015
 
Dr. M. Jayakumar, M.D., D.M., - President
Dr. P. Theagarayan, M.D.S., - Secretary
CA. P.R. Venkateswaran - Member
Thiru. M. Balaguruvappa, M.Com., PGDMM - Member
Thiru. P. Kumaraswami, B.Pharm., - Member
Dr. S. Thirunavukarasu
University of Madras – Nominee
- Member
Dr. G. Ravichandra Babu, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., - Member - Ex-Officio
Dr. S.N. Nageswara Rao, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., - Member - Ex-Officio
Dr. V. Natchathiram, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D., - Member - Ex-Officio
Thiru. S. Haridoss, B.A., - Member - Ex-Officio

KEY MILESTONES


The college started functioning in 1950 with intermediate Courses in Groups I, II & III under affiliation to the University of Madras. It turned into a first-grade college in the year 1954, during which, B.A., Degree Programmes with Groups 1B - Mathematics and IV B -Economics were introduced. Within a couple of years, in 1956, History major was introduced. The very next year B.Sc. Degree in Zoology was instituted. Subsequently, in 1965, a major addition came in the name of Sir Theagaraya Evening College wherein Pre-University and Degree classes were started. While, the B.Com. Degree Programme and B.Sc. Degree Programme in Chemistry were introduced in 1970 and 1971 respectively, in the Day College, the B.Sc. Degree Programmes in Physics and Botany were added in 1979.Two Post-Graduate programmes in Economics and History were introduced in the years 1980 and 1981 respectively. M.Sc Zoology course was added in 1982 and in the same year the Department of Zoology was recognized as a Research Centre by the University of Madras. The departments of Economics and History were elevated as Research Departments in the years 2003 and 2010, respectively.

In a lateral development, B.Sc. Computer Science was started in 1992 in the Evening College [shift-II]. In the year 2003, Bachelor of Computer Applications (B.C.A) was added to the Computer Science Department. Two Post-Graduate programmes, M.Sc Chemistry and M.Sc Microbiology, were added in the evening college in 2004. BBA Degree was inducted in the Evening College curriculum in 2005. Five years later, B.Com. Computer Applications was instituted in the Evening College Curriculum. Over and above, B.Com., in Accountancy and Finance has been introduced recently (2014-15) in shift-II

Direct Recruitment for the Post of

Assistant Professors and Librarian
Assistant Professors and Librarian Application Form
Guidelines


Application for the Post of

Principal
Principal application form